Donny Shimamoto CPA, CITP, CGMA
Donny Shimamoto is a recognized thought leader, an educator, and a Birkman Certified Professional who uses a positive psychology approach to empower individuals, teams, and leaders with access to the most-trusted, advanced personality data to improve communication, foster understanding, and optimize organizational success.
Donny is the founder and managing director of IntrapriseTechKnowlogies LLC, an advisory-focused CPA firm concentrating on innovation acceleration and organizational development for small businesses, middle market organizations, and nonprofits. Donny is a recognized thought leader and educator in the fields of accounting technology, IT risk management, and performance management. His dedication to helping accountants and organizations strategically leverage technology while proactively managing their business and technical risk is paramount.
Donny also serves as an business transformation advisor and outsourced “IT partner” for local & regional firms, finance departments, and internal audit departments who lack in-house IT executive leadership and IT audit expertise; He helps with risk assessments, IT-related advisory services, development of innovation strategies, streamlining of internal firm/department operations, and increasing staff proficiency with IT tools supporting internal operations and accounting/audit services delivery.
Donny was recognized as one of the Top Thought Leaders in Public Accounting by CPA Practice Advisor from 2012 to 2022, and Top 100 Most Influential People in Accounting (2013 & 2014 & 2017-2022) by Accounting Today. He received the 2009-2010 President’s Award from the Hawaii Society of CPAs, and was also named to CPA Technology Advisor’s 40 Under 40 list in 2007 & 2009 & 2014, and was a Hawaii Top High Tech Leader in 2004. Additionally, in 2022, Donny was recognized by Canopy as one of the Top 13 Accounting Influencers to follow.
Donny was a past chairman of the AICPA’s Information Management and Technology Assurance Executive Committee and former member of its Governing Council, Assurance Services Executive Committee, and numerous other AICPA committees and task forces. He is also the current co-chair of the National Conference of Lawyers and CPAs.
- Birkman Certified Professional (BCP)
- B.B.A. in Accounting & Management Information Systems, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI (1997)
- Certified Public Accountant, Hawaii (2001)
- Certified Information Technology Professional, AICPA (2005)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant, AICPA & CIMA (2012)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
2015 – present: CGMA Webcast Task Force | 2014 – present: Member – National Conference of Lawyers and CPAs Chair (2021 – present) | Discussion Leader for Artificial Intelligence (December 2016) and Cybersecurity (November 2018) | 2014 – 2016: Nominations Committee | 2011 – 2014: Chair, Information Management & Technology Assurance Executive Committee | 2010 – 2013: At-Large Member – Governing Council | 2009 – 2012: Assurance Services Executive Committee | 2009 – 2011: Co-Chair – Business Intelligence Working Group | 2006 – 2009: Information Technology Executive Committee | Other activities and leadership positions: CITP Redesign Task Force, CPA Horizons 2025 Advisory Panel, EDGE Conference Steering Committee, Emerging Technologies Task Force, IT Competency Model Task Force, Risk-Based Auditing (IT Considerations) Working Group, TECH+ Conference Steering Committee
- Hawaii Society of Certified Public Accountants (HSCPA)
2002 – present: member | 2010 – 2014: Board of Directors | 2008 – 2010: Chair, Technology Advocacy Committee
- Member: Houston Society of CPAs, IIA Hawaii Chapter, ISACA Hawaii Chapter, Texas Society of CPAs
- 2022: Canopy List of Accounting Influencers
- 2012 – 2022: Top 25 Thought Leaders in Public Accounting, CPA Practice Advisor Magazine
- 2017 – 2021: Top 100 Most Influential People, Accounting Today
- 2016: Standing Ovation award, Information Management & Technology Assurance Division, AICPA
- 2013 & 2014: Top 100 Most Influential People, Accounting Today
- 2014: Top “40 Under 40”, CPA Practice Advisor Magazine
- 2012: Maximo Mukalebai Award for Outstanding Service to the CPA Profession, AICPA
- 2010: President’s Award, Hawaii Society of Certified Public Accountants
- 2004: Top Technology Leader, Pacific Business News
- 2007, 2009, 2014: Top “40 Under 40” CPA Technology Professionals, CPA Technology Advisor Magazine